The chilly weather is here! And as we head into low temperatures, there are a lot of things you could do and should think about to save energy and be safe in the spirit of cold weather preparation:
- Review your space heater’s safety instructions.
- Use surge protectors or whole-home surge protection. Ice storms happen, protect your wiring and appliances.
- Seal up windows and doors with weatherstripping or window treatments.
- Insulate your chimney or install the proper airflow controls.
- Repair cracks in the roof and ensure your attic is properly insulated.
- Use a water heater insulator or insulate hot water pipes to maintain your water’s heat and ease stress on your hot water heater.
- Be aware of vampire drain and how it impacts your home’s energy use.
- Be sure you have proper outdoor lighting. If not, get some installed. Slip-and-fall problems are very common, especially in icy and dark conditions.