Think about how often you use the electricity in your house. It’s probably constantly and there’s bound to be a considerable amount of wear and tear. Factor that in with the age of your home and outdated equipment, and you could have some pressing wiring problems, most of which can pose a fire hazard if not addressed.
1. Outlet faceplates that are hot to the touch
Something is causing an overload, whether it be too much power being drawn or not enough capacity in the wiring to handle the burden. Sometimes loose wires can also cause redirected energy. To investigate, cut the power supply and look for melted wiring, loose wires, or burned equipment. Note that some light dimmers run normally warm but if they’re too hot to touch, there’s a problem.
2. Lights that flicker or trip the circuit breaker
The wiring might be loose or worn out. Don’t forget how often your use your lights. The fixture may also be damaged or worn out and may need replacing.
3. Breaker constantly tripping
A sure sign there’s something amiss with your wiring is if your breaker will trip, even right after you’ve reset it. Of course, the breaker itself may need replacing but it will trip often if the electrical load is too much.