There’s a whole variety of reasons you would need an electrician to come to your home. In fact, we strongly recommend avoiding doing any electrical work yourself because of how dangerous it can be to an untrained person. However, sometimes homeowners or residents put off calling a professional or resign to living with some inconveniences that are actually taking a larger toll. If you apply to any of the conditions below, call us today!
It Might Be Time To Call Us If…
Your home was built around 1960 or earlier and has not been renovated.
Your wiring is outdated. It probably can’t handle the electrical load today’s appliances need. This type of repair can be large but it will come back to you in the resale value of your home. In fact, not doing it could cost you a lot more in damage or when you try to sell your home and have to take a hit on the price. In fact, the wiring may violate or not be up to the National Electrical Code, which can spell lots of trouble for you if you try to sell…not to mention the wiring isn’t safe!
You might have a Federal Pacific electrical panel, which is considered unsafe.
You blow a fuse if you are using the clothing dryer and the microwave (or any combination of two larger appliances) at the same time, and they’re not in the same room.
This actually might be a symptom of condition one, which is that the wiring is too outdated to bear the load of too much electricity. This could also be a sign of some crossed wires or problems with your circuit breaker. And you don’t want to keep living with that inconvenience, do you?
Outlets or light switch faceplates are hot to touch.
Wiring problem. Some of the energy is being redirected and turning into heat. This can melt the other wires or even cause fires. Stop using those outlets or lights immediately and call a professional.
You suffer power surges.
Sometimes these are unavoidable and come from the power company itself. In fact, the power surges daily but sometimes at unnoticeable levels. A large power surge will fry your TV or other appliances. You can use surge protectors, but we recommend calling us to learn about whole-home surge protection. It will not only stop those pesky daily power surges from frying the stuff in your home, it will protect your home from a large-scale surge, like from being hit by lightning.
Your outlets only have two holes.
Like we said above, this is outdated wiring. All outlets must have that third, grounding port. This helps prevent shocks. Also, it must be pretty hard to use everyday items like vacuums or appliances because they all come with the grounding wire. Get that changed out right away!
Appliances shock you when you touch them.
There’s either a problem with the wiring in the appliance or wiring in your wall. Either way, stop using that machine and call an electrician to troubleshoot your wiring.
Flickering lights may be a sign of a defective or loose light bulb. If replacing the bulb doesn’t solve the problem, consult a licensed electrician. The fault may be in the light fixture. Also, either the connections to the fixture or the wiring in your electrical panel may be loose.
Light switches work intermittently.
There’s probably loose wiring. Sometimes it makes the connection and works, sometimes it’s loose and doesn’t. If it isn’t wiring, it might be in the fixture itself and require replacing.
There’s a burning odor.
Shut off the electricity and call us immediately! You might be seconds away from a fire igniting from damaged wiring or a faulty appliance.