Your home is one of your most expensive and valuable possessions and it comes with complicated needs and systems, including your electrical wiring. While not everyone can handle their electrical setup with the finesse of an Allen Electric technician, here are a few electrical tips for homeowners to remember:
1. If your lights flicker, your house isn’t haunted.
Well, maybe it is. But generally, if your lights flicker on and off on a regular basis, you probably have a loose wire or too much power being drawn on a circuit.
2. Check for frayed cords before using appliances of any kind.
If the plastic coating is peeling off the cord of your lamp, TV, vacuum, or anything that draws power, carefully replace the cord or appliance. Frayed wires are one of the leading causes of home fires.
3. Don’t overload your outlets or power strips.
Your home’s wiring is set up in such a way that each outlet is connected to a smaller subset of the system that can only handle so much power. Overloaded outlets and power strips will overheat and could possibly melt and cause fires.
4. Use surge protectors!
Find out more about the different types you can use. Protect your appliances!
5. Be sure you’re hiring a licensed and certified electrician service.
At Allen Electric, we’re certified and licensed in both Kentucky and Indiana.
6. Have your systems professionally inspected every five years.
7. Most projects require the power to be shut off, at least to the circuit in question.
If you have to take apart an outlet or replace a light fixture, be sure you shut the power off to the area you’re working on.
8. Don’t overload the light fixtures by putting in bulbs that have a higher wattage.
If an area of the house is too dim but your light fixture doesn’t allow for a brighter bulb, replace the fixture.
9. Check your smoke detectors regularly
Find out more about how in our article. Try timing your regular checks with holidays or events, like Daylight Savings.
10. Keep Allen Electric on speed dial!
We answer the phone 24/7. Electrical problems and emergencies don’t wait for your convenience. We have same-day service to address your electrical problems and needs.