If you had a serious medical problem, you wouldn’t try a home remedy – you would normally see a doctor. For significant electrical complications, you also need an accurate diagnosis and a person who will find and fix the problem. These are five electrical problems you should never fix yourself.
Flickering lights could be caused by:
- a light bulb that isn’t tightened
- by wiring in the electrical panel
- or the connections are loose
Flickering lights can also be caused by changes in the voltage to the light fixture. In this situation, you should never risk your safety. An electrician can locate the source of the problem and fix the issue, ensuring that the wiring is up to code.
Outlets That Don’t Work
Outlets that don’t work or that work sporadically can be caused by age, water damage, pests, or loose and faulty wiring. If you notice a faulty outlet or multiple faulty outlets in one area of your home, it’s essential that you call an electrician. Fixing a faulty outlet yourself can be dangerous, especially if more than one area is affected.
An Electric or Burning Odor
An electric or burning odor may be caused by a faulty kitchen appliance, but it could point to a more serious problem such as overloaded circuitry or a problem with your wiring. Never ignore a burning smell, as it can be one of the first signs of an electrical fire. Always call a qualified electrician to find and properly fix the source of the problem, assuring your family and home safety.
Many sources of electrical fire are hidden from view. If you notice that the area around a light fixture or outlet is warm to the touch, this is definitely a cause for concern. You may have faulty wiring or be experiencing higher voltage than normal in a particular area. It’s best to have a professional inspect your electrical system to locate and fix this issue, which can lead to serious injury, home damage or a fire.
Circuit Breaker Trips
It’s perfectly normal for circuit breakers to trip in some situations. This avoids overload and a potential fire hazard, but circuit breakers that trip frequently & randomly usually points to a more serious problem. In most cases, age and an electrical overload can be problems. It can be difficult and dangerous to fix a circuit breaker on your own. If you suspect a problem with your circuit breakers, an expert can easily check potentially dangerous issues and locate faulty wiring.
Your safety is invaluable and your home is one of your most important assets. Protect both by calling us at (502) 636-4357.