Usually residents don’t know their home is experiencing an electrical problem until they have to go without power or lights or had a fire. Here are a few warning signs of electrical problems so you can call us to fix it before you have to go without power:
- Lights that routinely flicker or dim when major appliances switch on.
- Light switches, outlets or your electrical panel that are hot to the touch.
- Electrical outlets with only two holes and no grounding pin.
If lights flicker or dim when you turn something else on, you may be overloading the circuit or have a degraded wire, which is a fire hazard. If your light switches, outlets, or electrical panels are hot to the touch, turn them off immediately and call us. The insulation somewhere in your wiring might be damaged and can cause plastic to melt or ignite. If your house was built before 1970 and hasn’t received professional attention from an electrician since, your wiring is outdated, especially your outlets. The grounding wire is important to neutralize charges and minimize changes for sparking or overloading.
If you are experiencing any of these problems, schedule an appointment today. And, if your electrical fixtures are overheating, don’t wait and schedule us for an emergency appointment. According to the National Fire Prevention Association:
Electrical fires were involved in an estimated 46,500 reported home structure fires in 2010. These fires resulted in 420 civilian deaths and 1,520 civilian injuries, with $1.5 billion in direct property damage.
Call us at 502.636.HELP (4357) to speak with a live person to schedule your appointment with a licensed electrician today!