Each day, six children are treated in hospital emergency rooms for electrical shock or burn injuries caused caused by a wall outlet.
The Electrical Safety Foundation International estimates more than 30,000 non-fatal shock accidents happen every year and almost 1,000 people in the United States die each year from electrocution (most of these are on-the-job incidents).
Needless to say, electrical shock can be a serious threat if you’re not cautious or aware of common causes of electrocution. Check out our tips below for preventing electrical shock!
1) Cover Outlets
Covering outlets is, of course, one of the most basic ways you can prevent electrical shock, especially if you have young children in the home. These outlet covers prevent fingers and other objects — a common cause of electrical shock among children — from being put into the wall socket.
2) Arrange Cords Safely
When you have an electronic device or appliance plugged in, be sure the cord isn’t stretched, kinked, or twisted. Over time, this could damage the cord and possibly even leave wires exposed.
If you have pets, keep cords under carpet or rugs when possible to prevent them from chewing on the cords. You’ll also find cord organizers at most hardware stores that will allow you to bundle cords and keep them out of reach of children or animals.
3) Be Proactive: Replace Old Electrical Equipment
Perhaps one of the most common causes of electrical shock is outdated and faulty electrical equipment. If any of your electronics or appliances frequently short circuit or have frayed wires, it’s time for an immediate replacement.
If you live in an older home, you should have your wiring inspected regularly by a licensed electrician to ensure you’re still in a safe zone and your home is up to code.
4) Be Cautious
This is addressed to those DIY electricians and those who work in the electrician field — don’t cheat on safety when working with electricity. Always be sure to turn off power sources before working on anything and wear protective gloves and boots to prevent injury from electrical shock.
Also, don’t take someone’s word for it that the power has been shut off. If you’re going to be doing the hands-on work, always double check for your own safety and peace of mind.